Thursday, September 24, 2009

On the road

The security at the airport confiscated my Swiss army knife! I know, I shouldn’t have had it in my carry on, but I wasn’t thinking. Nowadays they are all obsessed with liquids and shoes. It wasn’t even the knife blade portion of the Swiss army knife they objected to. It was the cork screw blade. What happens now if I have a wine cork emergency and I don’t have my trusty tool? That could be disastrous!

The flight to Johannesburg seemed to go on for-
blinkin’-ever! I’ve now spent the last two nights trying to sleep on planes and I’m feeling a little fetid. I’m now sitting a Jo’burg airport. It’s rather impressive. They have obviously put a lot of work into preparing the airport for the World Cup. They are clearly obsessed - a bit like Sydney with the Olympics.

It is in complete contrast with Banjul airport in The Gambia (bless it). They had maybe 3 flights a day and I had to literally wake up the customs agent in order to get through customs into the departure lounge. As he was screening my luggage he tried to convince me to marry him and become his second wife. Since that was the 200th marriage proposal I’d had in The Gambia, I didn’t take it too seriously.

I must say, I’m not feeling out of place being white

No comments: