Thursday, October 15, 2009

Baboons don't like cameras either

It seems the baboons don’t like the wildlife surveillance cameras either. The camera near the dam was found scattered and smashed. The last photo on the memory card was a big baboon face. We’re going to have to find a new secure casing for the camera equipment.

One of the mothers of the children in my class seems to have contracted the measles. It’s either that, or some other type of allergic reaction. I’m happy to say that my mother was very diligent when it came to getting us vaccinated, so I’m in no danger. But people still die from measles here in Africa.

The boss has it in his head to have a big, Michael Jackson moonwalking competition here at the guest house on Saturday afternoon. The kiddies in my class have been bursting out with the chorus of “Beat it” the whole time I’ve been here. They take their Michael Jackson very seriously here. I have to say the Damara aren’t very exuberant people. You might say they are shy. I think getting any of them up on stage is going to be hard. They don’t want to embarrass themselves. Whatever happens, I will be right there with my trusty video camera.

No comments: