Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Hermit was not "taken".

Population 11

The two German girls and I were planning to borrow the dune buggy and drive nearly three hours to the other end of the island to see the turtle nesting beach.  The truth of the matter is that once you are away from the homestead, you are completely without communication to the outside world.  There is no cell phone reception.  If you get bogged or get bitten by a shark or snake, there will be no help coming.  The owners of the island said “no worries, as long as you know how to change a tire and get out of a bog, you’ll be ‘right”.  Frankly, my knowledge of getting out of a sand bog comes straight off Discovery Channel and episodes of “I Shouldn't be Alive“.  I asked the German girls.  They shrugged.  We decided to go to Surf Point instead since it was only 25km away and we could still walk home if absolutely necessary.  Besides, the tide was so high with the latest cyclone to pass our way that turtle beach would likely be covered with water.  

Surf Point is just as lovely as the other beaches on the island.  I dunked myself into the water and THREE TIMES had to run out because I saw a shark coming.  One got within five feet of me, but it was only a little one.  It’s quite nice to add some extra excitement to a dip in the ocean.

I overheard a story of a hermit on the island.  There have been a few over the years.  This one set himself up in a shack with a goat (a man needs some company).  He went swimming and had his leg bitten off by a shark but managed to drag himself back to his shack and there he died.  So when the locals insist that "noone has ever been 'taken' by a shark", I guess that doesn't include being 'bitten' if you manage to get back onto dry land before you keel over and bleed to death.

Friday night we had a pizza and wine party with the family.  There are now 11 people on the island.  It’s nice to have some company.  Once the guests arrive, then it’s a party every night.

5 comments:

John said...

Diana,

You are forgetting your St George Girl's High education.

In Oz the black thing on a car wheel rim is a tyre. Tire is when you run out of energy.

Cell phones are mobiles.

Kylie doesn't use capital letters. Eh?

Diana Kalienky said...

John? Do I know you?

John said...

Diana,
Yes I'm Kylie Tai's (nee Jurd) Dad.
Welcome back to Australia and every enjoyment, fulfillment in your extra special environment and job.

Enjoyed reading your post.

Diana Kalienky said...

Oh, Mr Jurd!!!! I was afraid you might be my stalky ex boyfriend from high school! I am flattered that you are reading. Thank you.

kylie said...

well, i am a different kylie, not at all related to him!

diana,
i went to a writing for profit course yesterday and i'm all fired up now! laugh long and loud if you wish :)
anyhow, you really ought to write a book about this.....

or your whole life!