Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Back to the Mainland

Population:  Minus one

I’m back in Brisbane for a few weeks to go shopping and replace all my ragged clothes.  The bore water used for washing really takes a toll on your laundry.  It is such a great feeling to be wearing clothes that I haven’t worn into rags.

We didn't have any guests on my last night, so the staff had a bonfire on the beach.  It was beautiful.  The housekeeper tried to make damper (camp bread) but it didn't work which was a shame because I hadn't had much dinner.  She tried to wrap the dough around a stick and wave it over the fire, but the dough was too runny and fell into the flames.  The mix of beer and wine and an empty stomach nearly killed me.  I didn't drink that much!!!  I dragged my sick head out of bed around 7am to get coffee.  It was then that I found out that I wasn't going to be flying off the island at midday as originally planned.  I needed to get on the boat in 10 minutes.  I had to pull myself together in a big hurry and hope I didn't make a scene and spew into the sea in front of three generations of the family.  Not very dignified for a governess.

It doesn’t feel weird to be back in the city.  The island seems very far away

No comments: