Friday, April 08, 2011

Crossing over the abyss

Population 20-ish



The lights of the channel markers are just visible flashing in the bay between the island and the mainland.  It’s a very pleasant place where people I wouldn’t normally meet just turn up and sit at my table over looking the calm blue ocean.  Money doesn’t exist.  I romp around in a fog of surreal blue water and white beaches where the waters are infested with sharks that come into ankle deep water and  come jogging with me along the beach in the morning.

I head back to Brisbane next week for the school holidays.  I have this strange fear that the channel markers I see from my bedroom window could be hospital monitors blinking in my subconscious. Maybe crossing the water to the mainland is crossing back into reality.  Maybe this is all going on in my head.

Tonight a fisherman is having his 37th birthday with four of his mates.  Lots of booze and a chocolate cake.  They are taking the barge off the island in the morning.  Maybe they are crossing over the abyss.

Do they play Red Hot Chilli Peppers in limbo?

Maybe I should cut down on the booze.

No comments: